Grass fire

A grass fire consumed approximately 1 acre in an area near the Jackson Library on November 24.

At approximately 10:45 a.m. on Sunday, November 24, firefighters were dispatched to a vegetation fire in the 600 block of North Main Street near the library in Jackson.

Upon arrival, firefighters found an approximately 20 foot by 20 foot spot of grass burning. The fire destroyed a homeless camp and consumed approximately 1 acre between Jackson Creek and North Main Street. Firefighters from Jackson Fire Department and Cal Fire responded.

North Main Street in Jackson was temporarily closed in both directions. All resources were released by 2 p.m.

Two chimney fires in Ione

The City of Ione Fire Department was dispatched to a chimney fire in the 800 block of West Marlette at 11:50 p.m. on Monday, November 25. While en route it was upgraded to a residential structure fire. Upon arrival of the first units, the fire was located in the walls and attic area around the chimney. Crews made a quick knockdown of the fire and held it to the area of origin. Extensive overhaul was done and the occupants were able to stay with local relatives. Cause of the fire was the flu pipe. There were no injuries and damage is estimated at $5,000. At total of 12 units and 29 fire personnel responded from City of Ione Fire, Mule Creek Fire, Jackson Valley Fire, Buena Vista Fire, Cal Fire, Ione Police and PG&E.

Fire crews responded to a second chimney fire at 4:30 a.m. on Tuesday, November 26 in the 500 block of Heath Drive in Ione. The fire was contained to the chimney area. There was no damage and no injuries reported. Responding units included the City of Ione Fire Department, Mule Creek Fire and Ione Police Department.

CALFIRE lifts burn permit suspension

The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection announced effective Friday, November 29, at 8 a.m. the burn permit suspension in Amador, El Dorado, Sacramento and Alpine counties will be lifted. CAL FIRE burn permits will be required until the end of fire season. Amador County residents wishing to burn must verify it is a permissive burn day prior to burning by calling (209) 223-6246.